Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Latest on Benson's Eating...

If you're a regular around here, you know that food has been a real issue for our little guy. It started with what I ate... first it was no milk... then no soy... then he had a horrible reaction to rice cereal (THAT was crazy!) SO... To be honest I was a little scared of what in the world this little boy was going to be able to eat! But ... Good News! He's done GREAT lately and we've recently made the switch from jarred baby foods to homemade smooshed foods! I discovered a website called www.wholesomebabyfoods.com that gives recipes and ideas for wholesome baby foods. I have had so much fun experimenting with different things and Benson has surprisingly LOVED it too! Here's a little sampling of what he's been eating...


Here we have 1/2 of a mashed up avocado along with 1/4 of a smooshed, baked sweet potato and pureed chicken with apples (or, as Benjamin likes to call it: chicken smoothie.) He's also started drinking about 3 oz. of water with his meal and this is the best cup in the world... (His Aunt Christa told us about it.) We've tried a bunch of different kinds and normally he shakes it and splatters the drink everywhere, but this Gerber Soft Spout Two handle Cup is the greatest! No spills! I highly recommend it to all you mama's out there! We got it at target! Don't you just love target?!


Thanks to my Mama Jama's hard work, our back deck is a very pleasant place to be and since today was SO BEAUTIFUL, Benson and I spent all afternoon on the porch! We had a picnic on the table and Benson ate:
1/2 of a Tilapia fish fillet (baked on 350 for 11 minutes- no seasoning)
mixed peas and carrots (this was his first time eating these and he LOVED the peas, which surprised me because he HATED baby food peas! I just bought some frozen, organic peas and carrots and microwaved them with a little water for about 5 minutes until they were very soft)
1/2 a piece of homemade whole wheat bread (I've been making bread that is both dairy and soy free-- you can't find any in the stores-- and I like it so much, I don't think we'll ever switch back! It's delicious and way better for you than the store bought stuff- Easy as pie to make too! Email me for the recipe!)

He's also been eating a whole banana (I usually try to get organic if I can) mashed up with 1/2 avocado for breakfast. Sometimes we do Mott's organic applesauce out of a jar or steamed apples cut up in pieces, although he isn't quite used to the texture of those quite yet.

It's been so much fun to introduce him into the world of "real" foods. The faces he makes are so funny! I'm having such a ball with this little boy! What a blessing from the Lord he has been to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment