Monday, August 31, 2009

Some changes...

There are a couple of things that have been on my to-do list for over four years now...
1. Take down the border in our foyer
2. Take down the wallpaper in the guest bath..
So-- I finally got the gumption to do it. I called the Rent-x place in Lexington and found out I could rent a high powered wallpaper-remover-steamer thing for $30 a day.
After enlisting the services of my youngest sister Becca, I decided to go for it...
I was thinking it would take us two days, tops. It turned into a week-long operation.
I do not plan on taking down wallpaper again for a VERY long time!!

The steamer got the top layer of wallpaper off, but we had to SCRAPE EVERY SQUARE INCH of the wall to remove the glue underneath. Then we had to putty and sand the walls from all of the places where removing the glue also removed part of the dry wall. Unbelievable.
Then we primed the walls and the we painted two coats. It was QUITE the undertaking, but we finally got it done, and I am SO pleased with the results. I feel like we've brought our home into the twenty-first century!!

Before:
See the border back there in the foyer--- and the cream colored walls? NOT my fav.

Gotta love the "pink rope" look...

Becca, amidst piles of wallpaper peelings... yet with a good attitude. You rock, bec!

Ok, so this project was a little like... "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.." Because I had to take down the LOVELY four bulb light fixture and builders grade mirror that were in the bathroom in order to remove all of the paper...
Well, then i decided that it would REALLY make a difference if I changed those two things, so...
I enlisted my dad and his lovely assistant Mrs. J, to rewire the light fixture... What good sports they are :)...

So then I saw one of those newfangled curved shower rods at TJMAX for HALF the price it was at bed bath and beyond.. so of course I had to get that-- and my dad helped install that as well...
When it was all said and done.. We've got a WHOLE NEW BATHROOM!

After...



Ta Da!!


Yay for no wallpaper!!

2 comments:

  1. Holy smokes...you just come on over to my house for your decorating skills!! You could have a hay-day! It looks great, Jess!! Totally worth the week you put inot it! Sorry I didn't even notice it when I was over there...just in my own little world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Beautiful new bathroom! We still have two bathrooms with wallpaper and I dread taking it down. I've fought several rooms of wallpaper in this house already, and it wasn't pretty.

    ReplyDelete