Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Benson's First Act of Disobedience


The Bible is clear that babies are sinful from birth, but it has been really hard to believe that my sweet little baby boy could possibly be a sinner, but for the first time... he has blatantly disobeyed me.

I am not a fan of thumb sucking. It is a yucky habit that if the parents allow it when they are young, can stick with a child all the way into grade school and beyond. In my classroom, I saw children come in from recess with filthy dirty hands all except that squeaky clean thumb. Hmmm... Wonder were the dirt went? Ew!

You can take away a pacifier, but you CAN'T cut off their thumb! So I have tried my hardest to get Benson to take a passy. He went with it for a while, but he would lay down and fall asleep and it would fall out of his mouth, so he would wake up and start crying. About a week ago, Benson slept all the way through the night! I was so excited! I peeked over into his bassinet and what do you know... he had found his thumb. In the middle of the night, when he woke up and couldn't find his passy, his stuck his thumb in and it worked like a charm... he drifted off to sleep til morning.

So I guess it isn't all bad. Although, now he has started sucking it during the day too! I have tried to pull it out of his mouth and pop the passy in... but he just spits it out and sticks his thumb in again. Blatant disrespect. I guess he's already got a mind of his own... stinker.

4 comments:

  1. First of many lessons that our kids also have free will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a naughty little boy! Hey, Mary Catherine left a comment on one of my posts and it won't let me look at her profile because I guess she has it blocked. What is her web address? How do I respond?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I have 3 students that suck their thumbs! I talked with one of the mom's about this and come to find out she sucks her thumb too!! Beware!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write very well.

    ReplyDelete